Happy Monday girls! How was your weekend? We did a whole lotta nothing and it was kinda amazing. Just what we needed since it has been go-go since the holidays it seems. With March quickly approaching I thought it was the perfect time to share 10 Healthy changes to make now that will help jump start your fitness journey. They are easy for anyone and don’t require any crazy diets!
After I had Mason I felt sluggish, tired and was unhappy with my body. Having a baby didn’t leave hours for me to hit the gym so I started making some small changes. If you have any tips that have helped you along the way on your fitness journey I would love for you to share in the comments below. You can read my 5 tips for keeping a Fitness Routine if you need some motivation to get your butt up and moving each day!
1.Drink more water! I know it sounds easy. Truthfully, most people are not getting the required intake of H20. Do you know 80% of the time people confuse hunger for thirst? If you swap out one fruit beverage or soda for water you will be slashing almost 200 calories a day!
2. Carry snacks. Snacks like string cheese, nuts, a piece of fruit etc. If you are staying properly fueled throughout the day you won’t be as apt to swing through a drive-thru or have any late night cravings.
3. Eat at home! I know, its hard with all the events, and girlfriend dinners. Even if you cut it back to once a week it will make a huge difference. The average dinner out is a whopping 1,380 calories. That is almost your whole days worth of calories!!
4. Keep a journal! I use something called Fitness Pal. It was great at the beginning because I was able to track how many calories I was consuming. It also helps you from grabbing that handful of M&M’s or finishing off the second half of your child’s grilled cheese. It adjusts your calories depending on your activity level that day and also lets you know if your sugar intake is too high or calories too low.
5. I brush my teeth ALOT! I mean, maybe a little OCDish. Before I brush I do 50 push-ups off the bathroom sink. These small little changes helped to tone and increase strength. I brush my teeth about 5 times a day so 50×5=250 push-ups a day! So maybe at every commerical you do 25 crunches or a 1 minute plank. These start to add up.
6. Cut out the Alcohol during the week. I don’t expect you to stop drinking all together but if you cut it back to once a week, and choose things like vodka soda over sugary martini’s that are loaded with sugar and calories.
7. This tip is geared more towards the beginning of your journey. The reason so many people give up is due to the drastic changes they try to make overnight. For the first 3 months choose to change your diet/portion control or focus on cardio & strength training. To lose weight, its all about the caloric deficiency. You’re more likely to stick to it if you only make one of the above changes.
8. Eat breakfast. This helps to get your metabolism going for the day. Eating breakfast also curbs off that mid-morning hunger attacks. So many people eat hardly anything throughout the day to only overeat after dinner.
9. Get more sleep! Yup, get your ZZZzzz’s because it helps to fight illness. Your energy level will be up and you will crave less sugar.
10. MOVE. Move every day! Whether you take a walk with your friends, do 20 of weights in your room or run 1 mile this will help you burn fat & add muscle. When I first started my fitness journey I would take a walk every night with Mason. I saw huge changes before I even signed up for a gym.
I hope these 10 healthy changes help you! I will say the small changes really start to add up. This isn’t about the ideal size, this is more about being healthy and achieving some small goals along the way. Hope you have an awesome week. Now its time to start packing because moving day is Saturday!